Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Brahms Requiem: The Performance

Last night was one of the best nights of my life. It was a privilege to be a part of that group of people and we consider ourselves extremely lucky to have this piece of great music in our lives. I'm not going to elaborate on the technicalities of the piece as you will easily find them online. However, I will tell you that there's some very exciting stuff in it.. including some amazing fugues. Its been a while since I had goosebumps listening to music and I've almost never had goosebumps when I've been part of the music making mechanism (including solo performances or as frontman of a rock band) but last night was different. The high I got singing "Behold all flesh.." the second time (fortissimo, Mvt II), is indescribable. I'd like to thank Dr Thomas Hart and Dr Robert Ward who trained us over the past 3-4 months. Its been an incredible learning experience. My wife captured a video of most of it, except the last 15 mins when the camera ran out of storage. It was impossible to hold the camera up for the entire duration of 1h 15mins but the audio should be clear enough for you to get an idea of what it sounded like!

I have also uploaded the complete audio files. So the last bit of the concert should be available there. The audio, followed by the youtube video:

0) Beginning of concert: orchestra tuning and applause:



1) Movement I: Blessed are they that mourn



2) Movement II: Behold all flesh is as the grass



3) Movement III: Lord make me to know




4) Movement IV: How lovely is thy dwelling place



5) Movement V: And ye now therefore have sorrow



6) Movement VI: For here have we no continuing place



7) Movement VII: Blessed are the dead who in the lord shall die



8) End of concert applause







No comments:

Post a Comment